Learn to knit a Cowl/Scarf in this first of a three series of classes.
Learn to Knit Series
This series is designed to meet students where they are and is customizable to your learning and commitment needs. Classes are two hours long and are held in two sessions in person. Learn at your own pace.
Class size is limited and pre-registration is required. Students are welcome to shop 30 minutes prior to class start time and will receive a 10% discount on class supplies.
101: Let’s Knit a Cowl/Scarf! Nothing too technical here! This class will give you a simple lesson of the first and most basic steps to get your needles clicking. Take it once, take it twice…take it as many times as you need! The class will focus on designing your own cowl/scarf.
Class will be held in-person at KnitWit on Danforth St. in Portland, Maine.
- Pompom’s “K-N-I-T H-O-W, Simple Knits, Tools, and Tips” resource book
- 2 skeins/balls of yarn (Aran or thicker, approx. 200 yds total)
- set of circular needles appropriate to your yarn weight with a 16” or 24” cord
- darning needle
- crochet hook
- measuring tape or ruler
- snips or scissors
TECHNIQUES WE’LL LEARN:
- how to wind yarn
- basic abbreviations
- Stitch anatomy (“ladders”, "loops", and ‘legs”)
- using circular needles to knit a project “in the flat”
- long-tail cast on
- knit stitch
- purl stitch
- binding off
- the mattress stitch to join two project ends (cowl version only)
- how to weave in ends
Please include your email address and phone number when you check out so that we can contact you if needed.
Please review our class policies.
OTHER CLASSES IN THE SERIES: